- 1 Type of Greyhound Tickets
- 2 How to Cancel the Greyhound Ticket
- 3 How to Request Cancellation of Ticket Online
- 4 How to Cancel a Greyhound Ticket and Request a Refund in-person
Established in 1914, Greyhound is one of the largest providers of intercity bus transportation in North America. FirstGroup plc, the leading transport operator in North America and the United Kingdom, owns this company.
Greyhound is also recognized for its daily planned passenger service and many other express services and charter packages for businesses, conventions, schools, and other groups, at economical rates.
While on one side, Greyhound is providing easy and convenient mobility services to various people and improving their quality of life, on the other side, there are many customers who are not satisfied with their services.
There are few people who cannot go for the scheduled trip and want to cancel their tickets and get their money back or change the travel dates.Such people sometimes find it hard to cancel their tickets and get a refund.
Some people do not know the various ways to process their cancellation request for getting their money back or change request. If you are one of them, then you are at the right place.
This article will provide you with different options for people to cancel your ticket and request a refund without wasting their time and also how to change your Greyhound tickets. Let’s check it out.
Anyone who wants to cancel their ticket needs to first check the eligibility for the cancellation, and then apply for a refund. Every transport company has a cancellation and refund policy, and so Greyhound too has it.
So let us first study the type of tickets, the eligibility for ticket cancellation, and how to cancel Greyhound tickets.
Type of Greyhound Tickets
Greyhound provides two types of tickets, and your eligibility depends on the ticket you purchase.
- Refundable Tickets or Flexible Fare Tickets
- Non-Refundable Tickets (All other fare types – Economy and Economy extra)
If something comes up and the customer chooses to cancel or postpone the ticket, then the cancellation depends on the ticket fare you have chosen. You are only eligible for a refund or exchange if you buy a flexible fare ticket.
If you have an economy or economy-extra ticket fare, you will not be able to cancel your ticket but can exchange it.
How to Cancel the Greyhound Ticket
If you have bought a flexible ticket, then you can cancel the ticket and ask for a refund only if you:
- Have not at all used your ticket
- Have used the ticket only for one half of the round trip(you will get a refund for the other unused return part of the ticket fare)
- You have submitted the refund request before the travel date of your original ticket.
There also certain conditions in which you cannot cancel your ticket, and they are:
- You have lost your ticket
- In cases, if the bus was late
- You have bought a full-price ticket
- You have partially used both parts of the round-trip ticket
How to Request Cancellation of Ticket Online
Cancellation requests online are the best-preferred method, but it is time-consuming as it might take a few days to hear back from the company. To apply for cancellation and refund, you need to follow the below steps:
- Open the Greyhound webpage
- Click on Help and Info at the top of the page
- Click on tickets refunds and exchanges
- Choose a refund option only if you have a flexible ticket
- Click on request a refund
- Enter confirmation number and email id
- Click on submit
How to Cancel a Greyhound Ticket and Request a Refund in-person
To cancel the ticket in-person, you will have to go to the nearest bus station and follow the steps given below:
- Give your photo identity
- You have to get the reference number of your booking from the confirmation mail and provide it to the concerned clerk
- You will have to wait till the clerk takes the print out of the tickets.
- You will have to provide two signatures to complete the application form.
How to Change the Greyhound Ticket
In some cases, you might have to change your plan or dates of travel. In that case, Greyhound gives you the flexibility to change your ticket with the following conditions:
1. Conditions for customers having a flexible ticket
If the customers are holding a flexible ticket, then they can change their travel dates without paying anything.
2. Conditions for customers having other fare tickets
If the customer is an economy or economy extra fare ticket holder, then they have to pay a $20 change fee to make changes in their travel dates.
3. Other conditions
- Customers can change the date, time, to and from locations, and passengers of the original ticket
- The customers going for a change of date cannot change an advance ticket for a date that falls within holiday periods.
- A customer is eligible to change the ticket date or any ticket program that allows changes. (this will be made clear at the time of booking ticket)
- Customers have to travel within a year of the date of the original ticket bought.
- Customers have to request an exchange of tickets before the travel date in the actual ticket.
- Also, you can contact Greyhound customer care to forward your change request.
The Bottom Line
We hope that from the above article, now you know that if you need to postpone or change your travel dates or location, how you can cancel or change your Greyhound tickets.
Flexible fare tickets are a little costlier than the other fare tickets but have the flexibility to cancel or exchange the original tickets with other expected benefits.
But the other fare tickets do not have the cancellation option; they have only an exchange option that too with $20 charges.
Thus, if you are 100% sure about your travel dates, then only book non-refundable tickets otherwise, book flexible fare tickets to save money and time.
All the best and have a safe journey.